The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 altima, its completely stock. I just put some bosch platinum spark plugs with some bosch spark plug wires, because the car felt sluggish from the 1-2k rpm power band.

The car seems to run smoother but is still is a little sluggish from the start. The dealer specifically told me not to run the bosch platinums, but I did anyways thinking that it would affect the engine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would be creating this problem. Other than that the engine runs fine with no check engine light, its got about 70k miles on the motor.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
i agree with Asleep...nothing but NGK!!! Shawn (fastest NA KA24) recommends using BKR6e-11's, which are a step colder. ive been running them in my 99 for a while now with no problems. Bosch = crap for our cars...especially the Platinum +4...hideous plugs!

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
I hear platinum/iridums are better for cold weather... Start easier but im not sure if thats true or not.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
platinums and iridiums are for longer maint intervals. they even sometimes improve idle. how often do you idle in your car? i dont do it very often at all. coppers cost much less and provide consistant and reliable performance. exactly what im looking for.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
they are both reliable and consistant. the problem is, for much less you can get that with coppers. iridiums and plats are good for stock application cars where your only concern is low maint. for the cost though, you can go 50-60k miles with coppers and be just as well off. i use coppers ONLY and i get anywhere from 23-31 mpg depending on how often i spray or use the freeway.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
lil_z_33 said:
would you guys recommend the same plugs for an 00 altima with i/h/e/p??? also would you recommend the blue NGK wires that SWA sells for our cars as well???
yes i would recommend coppers for you as well. i like the ngk wires although i use msd's. ngk's are well made and work well. the cost is so so though... i ran oem style for the longest time with my msd until recently. now i run 8.5mm msd's and i love em. had to cut them myself though. msd doesnt make a set for our cars.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
not distributor itself, but the cap and rotor, yes. check the timing while youre at it too. would also be a good time to check the ecu for codes and be reset.

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
yup. not all codes will trip a light. knock sensor is a good example. doesnt mean its bad, just that it registered a code. its good to check the ecu once in awhile. lets you know whats going on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info everyone

I just swapped out the bosch platinum plugs with some ngk's that I got from the dealer. I also replaced the distributor rotor and cap, the car seems to run and sound smoother.

But, I am still getting a noticable lag from 1-2k rpms, I am thinking that my alternator might be going out cause the car also makes a whinning noise.

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts