The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my Altima 2.5 S in manual mode a lot lately, and once I got used to it, it's a lot of fun. I get to push the car the way I want it to without the CVT cutting out the fun just so I can get an extra mpg. Lately though on longer trips, I've been noticing that there's a whine that comes in after a while. It's almost like a whine that you hear from a supercharger. Am I harming the CVT by driving it in manual mode (that would be pretty stupid considering Nissan put it there) but I just want to make sure. Any suggestions? The crazy part is, the whine disappears the second I click it back into "D".

·
'12 370Z NISMO | '16 Q50
312 Posts
I've been driving my Altima 2.5 S in manual mode a lot lately, and once I got used to it, it's a lot of fun. I get to push the car the way I want it to without the CVT cutting out the fun just so I can get an extra mpg. Lately though on longer trips, I've been noticing that there's a whine that comes in after a while. It's almost like a whine that you hear from a supercharger. Am I harming the CVT by driving it in manual mode (that would be pretty stupid considering Nissan put it there) but I just want to make sure. Any suggestions? The crazy part is, the whine disappears the second I click it back into "D".
What year is it? Do the RPMs change when you shift it back out of manual mode to D? I know my 09 had a TSB for a bearing whine in the CVT that you could only hear at certain speeds/RPMs, so it might be something similar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts