The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I noticed that above 3000 rpm after driving for a while, my CVT is making a horrible whining noise. It is much more pronounced in manual shift mode I've noticed. Then, last week, I was driving and my CVT got stuck at around 1200 rpms cruising, and I pressed down the pedal but the rpms would not move. I jolted the pedal with my foot and the rpms jumped back up and things were normal again. This has happened 3 times now. I have a 2008 Altima with 102,000 miles on it's original CVT (as far as I know). Do I need to take it into Nissan? Is my CVT failing?

·
Nightcrawler
205 Posts
yeah I experienced that before, although when it first happened to me I freaked out but never took it to Nissan and I had a friend that noticed that about their car on our way to a meet we were driving a little wild but the solution we came up with is when ever I start to hear the cvt whine just put it back in D and drive normally, it happens a lot in manual mode but it does happen in drive also but you'll have to be gunning it hard and it would do the same but all you have to do is slow down and drive regular. I think the problem is that the cvt overheats when we're driving aggressive and needs time to cool down, I'm not an expert now this is just my opinion and experience with the car. Just remember when it start
to whine fun time is over and back to being a grandma on the road. ���� And to clarify my car/cvt never gave me an issue to this day(knock on wood).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I suppose I'll just wait it out to see if it gets worse and then take it to the Nissan dealer then. One thing is clear: I will never buy another Nissan. I've never heard a car that makes more unexplained noises than this one does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts