The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. Whenever I get over 80 mph in my car, I get a really bad whistling noise coming from my front drivers side. It sounds like the wind is running through the chrome trimming bad or something. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have the wind deflector? Cause on mine the two little metal straps that hold the wind deflector on the roof let a little air past and at speed caused a whistle. I took it off and no more whistle.

William

·
Registered
11 Posts
same here

I also noticed that whistling sound as if i have an open window.. i suspect its the door seals or something. I also noticed that outside air finds it way thru somewhere in the front door. try this.. lower one of your back windows for about an inch then place your palm about half an inch from the power window controls on your door.. you'll feel air movement if youre traveling fast enough.. been very keen with these noises..hehehehe

·
Registered
49 Posts
I go it too

Must be a 2.5 problem only? Its like a howling noise, right?:angry2:

·
Worship Me !!!
82 Posts
Re: I go it too

02CajunAlty said:
Must be a 2.5 problem only? Its like a howling noise, right?:angry2:
I must be lucky...I have no such noise (knocking on wood)

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
My wife complains my nose makes a whistling noise at about 1:00Pm.

How do I fix this ?

Next snoring

·
Registered
37 Posts
noise

I finally heard the noise coming from what seems like the right rear passenger door. I was on the highway and it was also a windy day. It's like a whistling noise, like the door isnt shut all the way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have the same problem. So i had my brother ride in the back. He noticed the noise was coming from the passenger little wing window in the back and if he pushed on it the noise would stop. going to take it to the dealer soon

·
Registered
121 Posts
NOT just a 2.5 or wind deflector problem!

I have a 3.5 and no wind deflector, and I get a whistle or HOWL at high speeds. (140km'h or more). If it's really windy out, I get the whistle or HOWL at even slower speeds. Peeves me right off...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: tsb

PLEASE SHOW US A LINK TO THE TSB:)

ppeter78 said:
TSB about this
i have the site book marked at home but it is a TSB

·
spinnin' !
51 Posts
I know for certainty that this noise (at least on the 3.5SE) is caused by wind through the wheels themselves. I confirmed this by doing a stationary burnout. I recreated the exact same noise on the car as when going over 90mph with just the front wheel(s) spinning. Typically I don't get this noise until in excess of 120 mph. But I know its the wheels. Quite annoying. Depending on wind direction it certainly can occur at lower speeds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
not wheel noise!

Sorry, I dont think its the wheels :(

I have a 2.5s, so, I have different wheels than a 3.5.

I dont think its the wheels.

Why would'nt all 4 wheels make the noise??

·
spinnin' !
51 Posts
Re: not wheel noise!

02CajunAlty said:
Sorry, I dont think its the wheels :(

I have a 2.5s, so, I have different wheels than a 3.5.

I dont think its the wheels.

Why would'nt all 4 wheels make the noise??
I said on the 3.5 not yours. And they wouldn't all make the same noise perhaps due to other aerodynamic factors. It only comes from the front wheels on my car. I complained but they said that they cant do anything about it since it only occurs at high speed. I would be interested in that TSB tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:angry2: You know, sometimes I wonder if this board hurts more than it helps. Seems as though everytime I read about a problem, I get it the next day. First, I hear the sunroof creaking and allowing a lot of wind noise in and now I've just become aware of this whistling sound. It was very gusty on my way to work this morning and going at around 75 mph I hear the aforementioned noise (something sounding like a puppy whimpering/howling).

I'm sure I would have never noticed it if I didn't read this DAMN thread. Denial can be a good thing sometimes. Thanks a lot guys :mad: :p :D

BTW, any word on that TSB?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where is this TSB for howling wind noise?

I was aware of the howling wind noise and had heard discussion about it coming from the wheels, but I think it is more serious than that. I have heard the howling wind noise before but only for short periods, say 2 seconds.

Driving to Knoxville yesterday there were some crosswinds, pretty substantial. Driving at around 75 MPH with all windows closed I hear it again. Only this time it is severely distracting, It interrupted a conversation multiple times. In fact, it was quite embarassing! The noise lasted for about 5-10 seconds and was very loud. It sounded as if it was coming from right above the driver's side door area. I cannot express how annoying this noise was. The noise repeatedly appeared.

I remember the video of the guy, I think it was in Florida, where the noise appears. Well, it was like that but much, much worse. A while back I remember reading a post about this being a design flaw on the Altima. I disregarded that remark because I figured the Nissan engineers would have tested the aerodynamics of the car thoroughly but after yesterday I am seriously disturbed about this.

I'm not saying that there is not a howling noise coming from the wheels but I think that it's unrelated to this problem. I personally never have heard the howling wheel problem. I believe the howling noise that I heard has to do with the aerodynamics of the car in crosswinds. When all the windows are closed and a crosswind hits the car that's when the howl appears. If the moon roof or one of the windows is open the sound dissappears. The problem has to be how air flows over the sealed car when the windows are up. I looked for a TSB on this at: http://www.altimas.net/tsb but I do not see how a TSB could address this issue. I mean they cannot change the structural aerodynamic integrity of the car without bolting on some insanely ugly fin to change the properties of how air flows over the car.

I am pissed off about this. I mean, you pay a lot of money for a car and should not have to deal with shit like this. This is shotty engineering. I think one of the reasons this hasn't been more of an issue is because up until now it has only occurred at higher speeds, but wait until you hit crosswind that make your car sound like a magnified deer whistle! The crosswinds I encountered were fairly strong but they were not anything I have never encountered before. To blame the problem on the strength of the crosswinds entirely is ridiculous. I never had this problem with any previous vehicle. My passenger that was with me owns a Nissan Frontier and said his Frontier does the same thing.

As of now I am seriously contemplating looking for a new car. I am curious if the 350Z has this problem as well?

pissed!! :angry2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.