The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard there are ADJUSTABLE SPRING/ coilover SLEEVES for altimas...

but does anyone actually have it?

and i dont mean the whole suspension.. i mean just the springs...?

ANYONE.. ?

and what brand?? where to get it?

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Ground Control promised these almost a year ago. Somebody found a listing for them on a distributor's site but I doubt that they are actually available. Try emailing or calling them (good luck).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH really CUSTOM??

wow... do you mean just the springs or the whole thing?

and another Q... why is all cars different when it comes to springs? i mean why cant we just take coilovers off a car that is the same size and about the same weight? ie accord or sth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
nopionline.com sell the ground control springs. Had them on my honda civic 01 didn't like the ride quality. To rough, felt every bump.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO the NOPI does make springs for the altima??

im just want to know if there was such a thing fo the altima..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man are they that bad??

springs are springs arent they??

but is there anyone that has those GROUND CONTROL coilovers?

and also, ground control listed the springs for ONLY the 2.5 altima.. would it work for the 3.5?

·
Registered
584 Posts
The problem with Ground Control (besides their customer service) is that there only experience is with road racing. Because of that, all their spring kits are spec'd with the assumption that you are going to be road racing, not driving on the street. Although they aren't the worst at this. Some of the Japanese makes (like Weapon-R) use truly staggering spring rates (like 500lbs on a Probe).

The actual spring rates of the stock Altima (prob 150/200) are probably much softer than what Ground Control will use, and it will likely make the car ride like sh!+. For my RACE car, (a Mazda Protege that weighs <2500 lbs), I'm using 250lbs/200lbs springs front and rear. Ground Control specs 300/400.

The reason the rear springs are going to be stiffer is that the fronts are mounted on the struts, which yields a wheel rate very close to the spring rate, while the rears are mounted to the control arms and yield a wheel rate about half what the spring rate is (as a guess... haven't actually measured the precise geometry).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW :confused:

do you work for a spring company??

dang you talk so technical i feel so dazed out.. haha...
like this--->:confused: hehe...

so what you are telling me is that ground control springs are stiffer at the back and softer at the front (in general) ??

and that is why as "res1mv1f" and "vintec" says.. the ride will be bumpy... (especially for the back people)...

but do you think.. as the back gets soft from usage.. will that get a little better? and then on top of that you add DECENT SHOCKS.. which will makes for a more comfortable ride...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Coil Overs are nice for show but the ride quality will never compare to performance springs. I had a set of coil overs on my 99 Civic and yes it rode like a ping pong. Replaced it with a set of Tokico HP's and H&R Sports Springs. What a difference!

·
Registered
584 Posts
The problem with most coil-overs is that they use much too stiff a spring. On my Protege, it rides much better on the coil-overs than it did on my H&R springs. Same shocks. A friend has Teins on his Integra, and the wheel rate is about 350lbs front/rear. That is stiff on just about any car.

The reason that most Ground Control spring sets for FWD cars use stiffer rear springs is to get the rear to rotate (on a race track). The reason the Altima uses stiffer rear springs is that the fronts act (more or less) directly on the wheels, while the backs are mounted on the control arms, and act on a lever.

For an example of how this works, try a teeter-totter (little kid balance thing). If you have a 200 lbs friend on one side, and a 100 lbs friend on the other side, the 200lbs friend would have to sit half-way to the pivot to balance out with the other, lighter person. Then he would result in a 100lbs rate equivalent.

Or another way, using an "8" for the spring, "_" for the suspension arm, "o" for the inner pivot, and "D" for the tire:
This is a strut:
o__8-D

This is a control arm (like the rear of the Altima, or most Hondas):
o_8_-D

For each inch the wheel moves up or down, the spring on the strut moves one inch, while on the control arm, it only moves 1/2".

Make any sense? :)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Davard said:
The problem with most coil-overs is that they use much too stiff a spring. On my Protege, it rides much better on the coil-overs than it did on my H&R springs. Same shocks. A friend has Teins on his Integra, and the wheel rate is about 350lbs front/rear. That is stiff on just about any car.

The reason that most Ground Control spring sets for FWD cars use stiffer rear springs is to get the rear to rotate (on a race track). The reason the Altima uses stiffer rear springs is that the fronts act (more or less) directly on the wheels, while the backs are mounted on the control arms, and act on a lever.

For an example of how this works, try a teeter-totter (little kid balance thing). If you have a 200 lbs friend on one side, and a 100 lbs friend on the other side, the 200lbs friend would have to sit half-way to the pivot to balance out with the other, lighter person. Then he would result in a 100lbs rate equivalent.

Or another way, using an "8" for the spring, "_" for the suspension arm, "o" for the inner pivot, and "D" for the tire:
This is a strut:
o__8-D

o_8_-D

For each inch the wheel moves up or down, the spring on the strut moves one inch, while on the control arm, it only moves 1/2".

NO! From experience Performance springs are the way to go. Coil overs just doesn't provide me with the ride I'm looking for. Granted you can adjust them, but your alignment will get out of whack as well. So what's the use!

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
Davard said:

This is a strut:
o__8-D

o_8_-D

kinda acts like a motorcycles rear shock/spring and swingarm eh? my motocross bike's shock and spring look like they have about 3 inches of suspension travel...yet it actually has almost a foot! :D takes up less space, saves weight...good ideas!

Monki

·
BOSRI NAH CHOD!
641 Posts
Riceball..read the thread.. "SPOKE TO JIC"

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NO SH8ME ::

Yah i read this thread already.... and i know of hte JIC coilover adjustable shocks.. but that is WAY over my price.. to me.. if i were to spend that much... i rather spend a little more to get Air Suspension..

But thanks... =) i know the pros and cons of adjustable springs..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts