The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason i feel that my engine is gonna be junked out by the time 75k miles comes around.

those engines can be gotten for relatively cheap and FMAX can be made to fit.

KEY ?'s
Buy a 93-96 engine with all hardware(ecu)
Buy a 97+ engine but get ecu from 96 and whatever to make it work.

so far the pros and cons i see are...
PROS
1. if i get the 93-96 engine, the Fmax will bolt right up correct?
2. if i get a 97+ the engine will be newer

CONS
1. the 93-96 engines are old, and, im not sure if they directly bold into a 2nd gen
2. the 97+ engine requires the Fmax to be modified to fit the newer engines.

anyone see any good points or have any comments?

for some reason, i see this engine more capable and realistic rather than the Custom install of an SR20DET, which costs $5000 grand installed out the door and running.

but the Fmax is $4000:eek:

damn, i guess both WILL be about the same huh?

:confused:

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
buy an engine for 400 bucks build it up, and then throw a turbo on it. you'll have to buy an ecu too, that should be about 200 bucks at a junkyard. that'll save you some money on buying a new engine along with the new ecu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wsup, I have a 2k Altima with an SR20det and SE-R trans. Mod'n the KA24DE isn't a bad idea depending on ur time resrtictions and budget. Its a pretty stout motor. There are plenty of ways to reinforce it. Beef up the bttom end with forged rods, low copmression forged pistons, and gapless rings. if using a turbo kit it outta your budget consider buildin ur own system. The base for your system will be the manifold. You can research which turbo out of another car would be the best to use, then u'll need to order a turbo tube kit, and next modify ur fuel delivery accordingly. It takes dedication but can be worth the effort. OH and by the way a SR20DET doesnt cost 5k dollars up and running, mine was up and runnin on only 3700.00 dollars.

·
Illest in Nebraska
892 Posts
atlalt22 said:
Wsup, I have a 2k Altima with an SR20det and SE-R trans. Mod'n the KA24DE isn't a bad idea depending on ur time resrtictions and budget. Its a pretty stout motor. There are plenty of ways to reinforce it. Beef up the bttom end with forged rods, low copmression forged pistons, and gapless rings. if using a turbo kit it outta your budget consider buildin ur own system. The base for your system will be the manifold. You can research which turbo out of another car would be the best to use, then u'll need to order a turbo tube kit, and next modify ur fuel delivery accordingly. It takes dedication but can be worth the effort. OH and by the way a SR20DET doesnt cost 5k dollars up and running, mine was up and runnin on only 3700.00 dollars.
Pics pics pics

·
Rollin' On Jordans
657 Posts
got times with the sr20det?

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
atlalt22 said:
SHOW IT TO US !!!! , I will not believe it untill I see the picts !!!!! Untill then I say BS !!! And if it is true , how did you make the clutch work , and the trans mount , and axles ? Etc.....

·
Banned
563 Posts
pics pics.......i suck your toe if you got a SR20DET in a 2nd gen ..pics ..proof please ..

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
*says to self* "so where's that BS flag i had?"

BULLSHIT!!! I think we'd heard of it by now. Good try though.

he'll prolly give us this, "i don't have a digi cam."
or, "my scanner is broken."
or, "I'm Amish"

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
atlalt22 said:
well guys, Unstable-Hybrids is based in ATL, thats where i got that quote

·
350Z
5,899 Posts
In your case So, I say throw a turbo on the stock motor. The fmax will be damn expensive, around $5k to get everything running great. Just do a custom kit that will run $3500-4k max

·
350Z
5,899 Posts
atlalt22 01-15-2002 08:52 PM said:
Wsup, I'm thinkin of gettin a SR20DET myself. I see they have um on import intellegence for 2400.00 but i dont know what trans it comes with. Oh yeah how did u get the info that the blubird trans is different than a se-r trans?
Originally posted by atlalt22 01-28-2002 01:47 PM
Well here's the truth fellas. The B\B trans is awd and will not work in a US spec Altima. I'm doin the swap now into a 2k alty. You have to use a se-r trans with the lsd in it. You can get this trans outta sentra,g20t, etc.. I got the motor,ecu,and harness for 2100.oo at import intellegence. u can pick up the fwd trans for between 300 and 600 dollars. Just make sure to upgrade the clutch.
I think he has an sr20 in his possession but not in the car.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
It is possible, we're not disputing that fact we all know it is feasable, Its just not practical to do an engine swap in our car for money reasons, in fact, the power gains that you will see are not so great.

·
what is in a name?
1,258 Posts
cthunder said:
It is possible, we're not disputing that fact we all know it is feasable, Its just not practical to do an engine swap in our car for money reasons, in fact, the power gains that you will see are not so great.
why does everyone assume the power gains of a sr20det are minimal. they make 400,500,600+bhp modded rides over seas all the time.

now on the other hand are cars would probably fall apart with that much power.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts