The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
sittin' pretty.
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of yall have gutted cat. converters or no cat. at all? If so, how much louder is it than a universal muffler w/ custom cat-back piping? Also, if you have done either, what did you do about the o2 sensor? Just pull the bulb out from the service engine light?

·
THE BIG POLISH SUSG
939 Posts
I have removed mine, and installed a straight pipe in its place!!
I have felst the diffrence, but if u have a second gen its impossible to do that cuz I think u have a sensor in the cat

·
sittin' pretty.
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Its possible to do it on second gens but I have to do something about the sensor. I know the flow is less restricted because it's newer, but I'm really just looking for a louder sound. I guess what I'm really asking is has anyone gutted theirs? because that's what I want to do, but then about the sensor, I suppose I can just pull the check engine light

and for the people with straight pipes, what kind of muffler/pipes are you running? how would you describe the sound at idle and higher rpms(4500-6000)?

·
Registered
510 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
Its possible to do it on second gens but I have to do something about the sensor. I know the flow is less restricted because it's newer, but I'm really just looking for a louder sound. I guess what I'm really asking is has anyone gutted theirs? because that's what I want to do, but then about the sensor, I suppose I can just pull the check engine light

and for the people with straight pipes, what kind of muffler/pipes are you running? how would you describe the sound at idle and higher rpms(4500-6000)?
2nd gens have 2 cats - 1 on the exhaust manifold (otherwise known as a precat) and a main cat under the car about in the middle. I have the stillen header on which removes the precat. I've been throwing the cat converter code ever since I did this. I consider it a false/positive reading. It's right in throwing the code because the sensor after the downpipe is expecting a certain air quality with the precat on. When you remove it, the exhaust properties change and the sensor thinks the (pre)cat is bad - yeah, it's bad alright....it's f***ing gone! I don't give a damn about the light cause my engine purrs like a kitten and rips like a lion.

·
Registered
510 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
hahaha well said jethro..so you're sayin its louder at idle..etc..? That's really all im looking for in doing this, a louder sound.
oh yeah, it's louder and then some if you combine it w/ an exhaust. cams and a high flow cat would also.

peterson, if you have a haynes manual, check that out. I just picked one up the other day and it shows the 93-94 as having regular looking stock headers. alot different than that big bulging precat on mine (99 se-l)

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
well on the 2nd gen there are 2 cats, the precat in the headers and one underneath the shifter area. the only cat i have is the one in the headers.......so..does that count as no cat?

·
VTEC wont save you....
1,939 Posts
I have also one cat since I got my custom catback.Just the one by the engine w/ the sensor,not the one farther under the car.
Damn she sounds good though...hehe.

So I am one cat-less now:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Peterson said:
All Altimas have 2 cats..a pre cat, and then a standard cat. The difference is in 95 they put an O2 sensor at the 2nd cat to read the difference. 93-94 only have one O2...but everyone has the 2 cats.
My car only had one cat which was in the factory header. I thought I had a second cat which really turned out to be a resonator. Go figure...

Oh, I have HS headers and then 2.5" straight pipe to crappy Arospeed muffler. Straight pipe was a good addition.

·
VTEC wont save you....
1,939 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
so HondaKilla...does the one under the car have an o2 sensor on it too..if so..what did you do about it?
No...the only sensor I saw was the o2 one stuck into the cat by the engine.

originally posted by CISCOKIDRB:
...I thought I had a second cat which really turned out to be a resonator. Go figure...
The muffler shop thought mine was a resonator also...ahhaha.I had to point it out that it was the 2nd cat.

·
where is that cone from
38 Posts
I had no cat for a while. hotshot header and a test pipe.

Hotshot header replace the whole exhaust manifold. Test pipe doesn't seem to give me a noticeable gain in power, not worth the amount of rust I ate when it is time to do inspection.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.