The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Noir Mat
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a question,
and yes i've already searched but can't find anything relevent but my question is why are 2nd gen's so freaking slow compared to the first gen's?(and most other cars for that matter)

i have a 99 altima auto(blah) with a wai and a muffler (which i kno doesn't count) and i have a box with 2 10s in the trunk

now my friend has a 94 thats bone stock and he as a box with 2 12's in it (which def weighs more)

but i can not catch his car for crap i can jump off the line quicker and by the time we hit 2nd gear he's past me and then burns the crap outta my car, my question is why?

i kno the 1st gens like weigh less orr sumthin but isn't it sumthin stupid like 9lbs or sumthing that wouldn't even make that much of a difference? and then we have the same stinking engine as them so how can they be that much faster!?!

peace
dante

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
what trim level is your friends 94? I know for a fact that the 2000-2001 SE are the fastest second gens, and most likely faster than a first gen SE. our cars are slow because they weigh quite a bit. plus the automatic transmissions are really sloppy...they may be smooth but they have no performance in mind when they were built. If you want to make your car quicker I recommend a valve body upgrade, changing your WAI into a CAI, doing a major tune up and possibly adding an MSD ignition. Your car will feel really smooth and definitely faster if you did these things.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
As a rule, 2nd gens auto for auto and manual for manual compared w/1st gens shouldn't be much slower, though no 2 cars runs exactly the same or are in the same mechanical condition. Maybe yours needs a little tuneup and the 1st gen happens to be running at its peak. Who knows...

And you'd think the 00/01s would be a good deal (according to Nissan, 1 full second 0-60) faster, but the magazine's that tested the auto 01 got a 10sec 0-60 time. That doesn't mean all will do 10secs but doesn't say much for the tranny changes...

Jeremy

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
altimas have more mid-range to high end torque. I bet when you get up to speed, rolling good and you floor it, you will notice that it is faster than some other models. This is what they call passing power.

And for all guys info, the altima is quicker than it's major competitors: Accord, Camry, Alero. The alti has more horses. So when you think about it, the alti might be slow, but isn't as slow as others. I can personaly say that on my brother's camry, he has to shift at 4500 rpm to get up to 40mph by the time he reaches 3rd gear! That is rediculous. And my mom's Alero basically has the same engine as the alti. Both have the 2.4l 4-cyl, 150 hp, but her Alero seems slower, plus it is built by GM!!!

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
**rafiks2000Altima** said:
I have a 2000 Altima GLE, with a dynomax super turbo muffler which sound slike its the full exhaust system. And a hotshot Cold air intake, cuz its the only CAI not WAI available for the car.
Here are a couple of pics at my cardomain site, http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/655261/3. Any qauestions, email me @ [email protected]
That's nice man... Still slow though.. heh. ;)

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
y is ur car slow, well u already answered it basically... the sound sys and its an auto arent helpin ya out bro, even w/ the vb upgrade my car is still F'in slow thats y im convertin 2 a 5spd..., i tried racin w/ another 2nd gen, stock, and my car has practically all the bolt ons and she was jus able 2 pull on me still...(she def had 2 be a stick) altho i admit i wasnt really pushin it.... maybe i need a tune up tho, after i convert it :)

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
also convert 2 obd1, also on my "future to do" list, and consider tryin 2 lighten her up, take ur car on the slim fast diet...

·
w00t
5,990 Posts
to tell u the truth i've raced 3 second gen's in my 1st gen... 2 were auto and one was stick...

the 2 auto were nothing.. pulled them easy.... one was a 98/99 and the other a 00/01

now as for the 98 stick... it was with thelostbrian and i think he took off late plus we were in the interstate and i heard his engine louder but he didn't punch it (i believe) so i pulled on him easy... but whatever... fact of the matter is they are the same car with very minor tuning... SE's have better tranny setup than that of a XE/GXE so that would be a reason for it being so slow.

some High performance mods will increase your pull... but whatever its up to u... don't stress it dood.. a wai increases max of 5hp and tq... god knows... and a muffler (exhaust) about the same as a wai. now... a CAI will help a lot more... since its sending cooler air to the engine, headers, Vavle body and a torque converter for the tranny will help as well..

if all else fails buy a new car with turbo LOL.. then u might be happy taking a 1st gen :D

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
mine will too since it will be a 5spd and the "anatomy" of a 1st gen

1 - 20 of 33 Posts