The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I drove to school and everything was fine. It was raining hard as well. After school, I noticed that the car had a sluggish feel. Got it home, I turned it off and started it back up. There was a hard start and the ses light came on. The codes P0725 and P0335 is what was shone. I've already replaced the sensor with a new Nissan sensor but keep having problems! I had the same problem with the crank sensor before but replaced that one again.

Really considering trading the car in. These sensor problems are ticking me off!

Help!

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this because I'm not swapping out the sensors at the same time?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Both codes point to the Crankshaft sensor. Is it possible it's more of a wiring issue than a sensor issue?

I once read a post about a guy who fixed spurious CPS errors by putting a spacer (like fibre gasket thick) between the sensor and the engine housing. His theory was the pulse was actually too strong, not too weak and that was the issue. By moving the sensor head further away from the rotating part, you weaken the magnetic effect and hence change the pulse level sent to the ECM. Dunno, could be snakeoil.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just replaced the crank sensor not too long ago. The wiring could be screwed up. Why the crank sensor though? The thing is a pain to get to :banghead:

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you replace the wires on the crankshaft sensor?

·
6,365 Posts
How do you replace the wires on the crankshaft sensor?
I think it's more about looking at them as a part that can fail, rather than some invisible inert substance that is just part of the engine compartment. The only reason I brought it up was the correlation to it happening in very wet weather...so maybe the sensor plug is cracked and allowing moisture in? Maybe a wire has higher resistance than it should? There would be no harm in drying and then packing the connectors in dieletric grease and reassembling.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's more about looking at them as a part that can fail, rather than some invisible inert substance that is just part of the engine compartment. The only reason I brought it up was the correlation to it happening in very wet weather...so maybe the sensor plug is cracked and allowing moisture in? Maybe a wire has higher resistance than it should? There would be no harm in drying and then packing the connectors in dieletric grease and reassembling.
I took it to my mechanic. He didn't charge anything last time I took her in. The very first time I changed the crankshaft sensor myself, but this was about a year ago. When I was trying to get the sensor loose, I did tug on the wires a bit. This is probably why I keep having issues with the crank sensor idk. The code for the speed sensor is also showing up.

·
6,365 Posts
my understanding is that is a cause and effect. Because the Crank PS is intermittent, the ECU can't send the engine speed (rpm) to the TCM (transmission control module) resulting in that code. It's not the 'speed sensor' that drives your speedometer.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic says there's something wrong with the connection because it messes up during rainy or cold weather. We'll see what he does. Took it to him because I'm very confused. I thought all you had to do is change out the cam and crank sensor and then you were done.

Has anyone else had a problem like this after they swapped out sensors?

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So apparently I'm having too much resistance on the ground circuit.

·
6,365 Posts
So apparently I'm having too much resistance on the ground circuit.
It's always so much better to have a problem to solve than a question to answer.

The FSM should tell you where that ground terminates...if it terminates somewhere along the engine harness, you can just splice in a much better version of ground--probably help a bunch of other sensors work better too, if both wires terminate directly at the ECU, then it would be better to replace both wires all the way from the sensor to within a foot or so of the ECU AND you will need to convince yourself that the ECU connectors and the the last foot of wire is all good.

Fixing the ground locally is the easiest first step...but you may wish to be thorough on this one given the nasty consequences of a misbehaving CPS.

PS If you want some help just ask...but I think you like to figure stuff out for yourself...so start with the FSM :)

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it back today. There was a pin in the pigtail that was messed up, what my mechanic says. He didn't charge much to replace it. I just hope these sensor issues are over with.

·
6,365 Posts
Sounds about right. Hopefully your sensor issues are done for a while.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts