The Nissan Club banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cancellation only happens with out-of-phase sounds. For that to happen, you need 1/2 the distance of the soundwave to it's proximity wall for it to cancel each other. Another thing is that you need a solid wall that is flat and parallel to the driver, the environment in the trunk prevents this from happening. Rather, in some cases, I would be more worried of the standing waves occuring within the trunk thus amplifying certain frequencies and preventing a nice smooth flat response.
So do you recommend facing the rear or placed at rear facing forward?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody know why everybody I see face their subs towards the rear of the car? This seems weird to me. Does it help move more air or something? Will it hurt to turn the box around?
All it does is boost your bass cause bass rebounds off the trunk and disperses more evenly creating better clarity and how loud it can go

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sound waves from 600 Hz and below suffer from waves propagating to the rear of the box due to long wave lengths.
Bass with mediocre speakers generally need in close proximity to a rear wall to reinforce the bass.

Subwoofers or Super woofers suffer the same fate due to poor design work.

What's missing in all small sub encloses? A front baffle thats measured to reflect the sound back in front of the speaker. Now we know that isn't practical in the real world so to turn a 360deg sound wave back into a 180degree sound wave, you must design a Baffle step circuit. This takes into account the size of the speaker and front baffle to turn 360deg of sound to 180deg . Doing this cleans up the sound considerably which means clean bass into the cabin.

People complain about poor performance with ported boxes. If you are only sending the port into the car via parcel shelf with the main speaker firing into the boot, you are generally playing one frequencie into the cabin.

In this case a properly constructed Isobarick ported box will play a range of frequencies you require in a smaller enclosure but you need two identical subs in a push/pull configuration with one sub running out of phase.

Reproducing good sound from 20kHz down to 20Hz is all about all frequencies arriving at your ear at the same time.

All frequencies travel at the exact same velocity meaning turning the sound up does not usually compensate for misaligned speakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody know why everybody I see face their subs towards the rear of the car? This seems weird to me. Does it help move more air or something? Will it hurt to turn the box around?
Bass soundwaves are actually really long and have a high peak and low valley. The goal is to get the peak of the way to hit your ears. The way you have your sub facing will change the distance the sound waves have to travel to hit your ears, thus sometimes facing back is better, sometimes facing front is better. All depends on the car and the set-up

21 - 28 of 28 Posts