The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is this?

I am not quite understanding...If the Unorthodox racing pulley is balanced to 0 than there should be no problems right?

Someone explain

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok this was from CThunder

"once your bottom end is balanced, you would be able to run a pulley, but as I've heard many a turbo gurus say, turbos and pulleys do not mix... Alex M has his turbo and pulley in conjunction, but because he's generally running at such a low boost, the harm is minimal. once he gains the ability to boost more, the less likely his engine will survive with the pulley."

This was good stuff but my question is still...if the pulley is at 0 than it is in perfect balance...explain if this is true

·
Retired Turbo Slut
333 Posts
because your crank is not perfectly balanced from the factory......the oem pulley is balanced to dampen the harmonic vibration from the crank. I hope I answered your question

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok so someone told me the ka crank is fully counterweighed. Is it or isn't it? I keep hearing from every other forum that it isn't. Why does one person here think it is?

A pulley does nothing to the turbo or it's system. That just doesn't make any sense. A pulley only would change the parasitic drag from your accessories. If the balancing is at Zero then the pulley is not the issue it's the supposed need of a harmonic balancer. I know of plenty of 240's with pulley's on KA's and never had a problem.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
TX180SX said:
A pulley does nothing to the turbo or it's system. That just doesn't make any sense. ... I know of plenty of 240's with pulley's on KA's and never had a problem.
were those 240's turbo'd?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good point newbie

I should have no Problems going Turbo with my built motor and the lightened pulley...since they are both balanced to 0

If it blows up than you call can say..."I told you so"

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
TX180SX said:
Ok so someone told me the ka crank is fully counterweighed. Is it or isn't it? I keep hearing from every other forum that it isn't. Why does one person here think it is?

A pulley does nothing to the turbo or it's system. That just doesn't make any sense. A pulley only would change the parasitic drag from your accessories. If the balancing is at Zero then the pulley is not the issue it's the supposed need of a harmonic balancer. I know of plenty of 240's with pulley's on KA's and never had a problem.
Ok , the stock pulley has an internal rubber ballancer , which helps reduce internal vibration !! The Underdrive ones dont ... So unless you have a completely ballanced engine , the Underdriven pulley could really make a slight vibration a major vibration under boost !! The more stress put on it , the more chances for damage from vibration !!! All Motor you dont have enough stress on it to make it have any problems .. The KA's are very well ballanced from the factory , but not well enough to be able to with stand the vibrations of high RPM Boost !!

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
SHAWN said:
Ok , the stock pulley has an internal rubber ballancer , which helps reduce internal vibration !! The Underdrive ones dont ... So unless you have a completely ballanced engine , the Underdriven pulley could really make a slight vibration a major vibration under boost !! The more stress put on it , the more chances for damage from vibration !!! All Motor you dont have enough stress on it to make it have any problems .. The KA's are very well ballanced from the factory , but not well enough to be able to with stand the vibrations of high RPM Boost !!
I'd listen to this guy if I were you dogfest. He knows what he's talking about. And so do cthunder and ryand and ramses.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sweet...well The whole reason why I started this thread was I misunderstood why it was not safe to run the pulley...

My motor will have no problems under boost

I decided against the the msd injectors after all and the jwt fuel rail and have decided to go with the 555cc Nismo injectors from the upgrade of a 95-96 300zx tt

I can't wait to have some boost...its sweet now but it will be crazy when i get the turbo

1 - 20 of 28 Posts