The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
If you have an auto..That is dangerous and should not happen. If you have a 5 speed it is likely that you engaged the brake before the clutch and stalled the engine..I have done this in the past in emergency situations..When I was a kid :)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
Oh..How much you askin for the mattress?? I know a brother did not pass up a golden bidness opportunity like that..lololo

·
Honorary So Cal Member
16,046 Posts
wild willy said:
If you have an auto..That is dangerous and should not happen. If you have a 5 speed it is likely that you engaged the brake before the clutch and stalled the engine..I have done this in the past in emergency situations..When I was a kid :)
This is a good point. Do you have a 5 speed??

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
happened to my friends old school 94 camry in the middle of the LIE once(huge expressway that runs through NYC and long island). Pretty scary, mechanic wouldnt fix the problem and she ended up getting a new car.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
I'm sure this isn't supposed to happen, but the auto trans does have a lockup feature. How it knows to unlock the torque converter in the fraction of a second it takes you to slam on the brakes and stop the axles from turning I don't know. Obviously you would kill the engine doing this in a 5-Speed unless you disengaged the clutch, and it shouldn't be an issue with ABS, but the auto/non-ABS situation makes me go hmmmm. :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DesiEGO said:
^Your car actually goes upto 80-85mph...J/P ! :p

I will try this sometime for fun in my car and see what happens, don't know if I can get upto 80-85mph on a normal road except for the hwy.
Don't try it for fun.. lol..

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Maybe you were low on gas and when you hit the brakes at that speed the gas in the tank sloshed forward long enough to starve the motor?

Thans about all I can come up with if you have an auto.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's not suppose to happen. Extremely unsafe to you and people behind you especially in sudden traffic situation that you breaked hard at 70 mph. What then if the traffic kept on going, god forbid cars rear ending you.
To get this answer, GO TO THE DEALER. HAVE THEM INSPECT IT. AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEM DOCUMENT IT ON THE SERVICE SHEET/REPORT AND KEEP A COPY. IF THEY CAN'T ANSWER TO WHY THIS HAPPENED, GO DIRECTLY TO NISSAN HEADQUARTERS - REGISTERED MAIL AND FOLLOW UP ASAP BY TELEPHONE.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a 3.5 auto and it happened to me, my theory is that that i was using the auto stick at the time and i think that the auto maybe could not react and downshift fast enough and it stalled. Mine did the exact same thing in the same situation(car pulled directly in front of me while i was going 75-80). The other thing i thought of is that maybe the MAF sucked in a bunch of the smoke and burned rubber and freaked because my check engine light came on as the car cut out. But yeah, i thought i had busted something majorly, but it started right up. It stopped so fast i had a button and a cigarette butt melted into my tire . Totally shredded one front tire, and the other was bald after that, so the crappy turanzas came off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts