The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
rj752 said:
Hey victor, if I had a leak, it wouldn't at all, would it? Is there anything other than filling with the coolant that my mechanic needs to do?
you can go anywhere to get a test done. most shops charge like $10.

they can tell if you have a leak or not. if you are low, just add some Freon stuff.

if you have a leak and just fill it up, little by little you will not stay cold.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
yea, i think I need to recharge mine. used it two days ago for the first time this year and it doesn't have the punch it used to. in a 7year old car i think a recharge won't hurt it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now that I think about it, theres no benifit from measuring how low it is anyway. if it takes coolant, then its low, right? my shop is real small and only has basic tools, none of the fancy stuff that a larger shop has. he can add coolant and thats about it. he"s a great mechanic and friend though.

·
It's Paid For.
234 Posts
Not on an Altima, but on a sentra. Looked easy. I believe you just hook it up to the low (L) pressure line and take a reading. You also fill it there. Comes with fairly complete instructions. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can overcharge a system. So "if it takes coolant then its low" theory is not a good gauge of the performance of your ac system. If your car is using r12 you can not go to the store and buy a "recharge" kit. You can however go to the store and buy a r134a retrofit kit. Your best bet is to go to a shop and get it done seeing that you are probably not EPA certified. I do not own a 94 gxe so I do not know if you are running r12 or not. If you are you need to go to a shop or have someone EPA certified recover the r12. Then have them put the r134 a retrofit kit in.

·
The Saga Continues......
1,043 Posts
i thought i might be low on freon too, so i went to get it looked at. the person told me that the new type of freon they use is not as cold as the ones used on older cars. its more environment friendly but keeps us a bit warmer in the summer.

·
Smell it, fools...
1,627 Posts
All altimas use R34a on the AC... The low pressure port is by the passenger side strut tower, right on that aluminum tube thing...

It's real easy to do and costs almost nothing, but do not overcharge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: !!!!!

white95 said:
i know about this stuff i work with heating and cooling hvac service...MY advice dont over charge that bitch!!!!!
I work in the same field and that is one of the best pieces of advice that could have been offered up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.