The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my eibach prokit on my 3.5 since 3/02 with no problems. Two weeks ago I had a strange rubbing noise come from my front passenger side tire. The first mechanic said it was the brake pads but the second mechanic I went to said that my car was too low and that I must have hit a pothole or something and nowthat the sound is due to a bent spring. He said the only way to get rid of it is to change suspension back to stock. He said aftermarket springs are not as strong as stock. Eibachs are stronger than OEM I thought. Have any of you had any problems with your Eibach springs or is this mechanic just full of s**t? Any suggestions????? Please help. Thanks.

·
Honorary So Cal Member
16,046 Posts
sounds like he is full of shit the Eibach's are a great spring all the way around and would easily say that they are better than OEM. Maybe you had a strut go out?? Best thing to do is check the spring on the side that is giving you problems and go from there.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I believe from cars with Eibachs for 10 years that they are no worse than stock and probably better. A rubbing noise from front wheel going straight ahead on a smooth road is not likely suspension, most likely rotor interference with rough pad or hub backplate bent. First check if backplate is bent, then pull pads and file all edges against the rotor til they are smooth mitered corners without ribs or flakes. All 4 edges by the way. You dont have to do much. This is espeially important if you have slotted or dimpled rotors. Check also if the pads are disintegrating, cratering, or cracking. All will lead to rough sounding brakes. (and to sub-performance braking.)
cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for all the Altima love. :p I took my front passenger wheel off, disassembled the caliper, and removed the brake pads. I noticed there were some areas on the brake pad where it looked almost reflective/shiny so I sanded the whole pad down until the surface looked uniform and even. I am happy to report that the sound is gone. Unfortunately one of the two mechanics I took my car to must have over tightened my lug nuts so one of the studs was stripped and the other one broke as I took it off. The mechanic that did it was closed today so I had to pay. Oh well, $2 for the studs and $45 for the labor, so a total of $47 to fix the sound, not bad at all. Thanks again. :bigok:

·
Registered
464 Posts
coolio0079 said:
I have had my eibach prokit on my 3.5 since 3/02 with no problems. Two weeks ago I had a strange rubbing noise come from my front passenger side tire. The first mechanic said it was the brake pads but the second mechanic I went to said that my car was too low and that I must have hit a pothole or something and nowthat the sound is due to a bent spring. He said the only way to get rid of it is to change suspension back to stock. He said aftermarket springs are not as strong as stock. Eibachs are stronger than OEM I thought. Have any of you had any problems with your Eibach springs or is this mechanic just full of s**t? Any suggestions????? Please help. Thanks.
:bullshit: WOW!! bending a spring on a pothole, I can die a happy man because now I have heard it all!!!!! I hope you will never take your car back to the bent spring shop!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts