The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a tree crap on my brand new Altima this weekend. I was wondering (after the fact that I have done it) if WD-40 will hurt your paint. I googled removing tree sap and numerous sites said to use it to remove tree sap.

In the end it sorta worked and I was frustrated. BUT I decided to try Zaino Z6 to clean up the area after I got off as much as I could and ta da it took the sap off AND made the paint look nice. Again this happened right after I washed and waxed the car.

Opinions? :confused:

·
Prepare to be VQmized
401 Posts
WD-40 shouldn't hurt a painted surface. I would probably wash it well to remove any trace of the WD-40 lubricant and then re-wax those areas so that you have an even sheen again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
They make stuff just for tree sap. WD-40 was probably just handy. Would just make sure to clean it and maybe do a quick spray of wax. Zaino is some good stuff. The whole process if you do also the stuff takes a bit but worth it.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
from their FAQ section:

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?
WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
No it wont hurt the surface as 702 has posted up useful info explaining this. I personally use a product that I bought from an auto parts store specifically for tree sap and road grime. All of about $4.00.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the awesome replies everyone! I guess it is just every ones preference and at the time that is all I had on hand and wanted to get that tree snot off the paint ASAP before it hardened.

Great to know there are many ways and products out there that people have used that work.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone!!
Today i come again here and i want to say about this topic that i have a old car now it's paint totally seems ugly and want to repaint it but i don't know any good place to repaint it if anyone know here than contact here back good suggestions would be appreciated.....
Brisbane Timber Fence

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
best way to get tree sap off is 70% solution rubbing alcohol, alot of detailers do the same. soak a microfiber cloth with the alcohol and just dab the affected area or press the cloth on the sap and let the chemical reaction do its job (do not rub or swirls appear etc) and the alcohol will disdolve the sap.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
WD-40 will not harm your car's paint and should work to remove sap, tar, adhesives and even chewing gum from seats and carpets. Just spray, let it sit for like 5 minutes and wipe clean with a microfiber towel. Afterwards you should wash the area with soap and water and reapply wax since WD-40 will strip it.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,667 Posts
It could however change the appearance if you have wax and/or polymer based finishes on top of your paint. Try it first in a non-obvious area and check for dullness etc. Worst case you need to re-wax :)

That said, keep brake fluid and skeeter repellent far away from your paintwork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts