The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Shift_???
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys who have a sunroof on your car, when driving on a windy day, do you have noise coming from the sunroof..??? maybe it's just me cause I heard it this morning, but the sunroof wasn't closed properly I think, i've played around with it this evening, and went for a drive and I didn't hear it anymore, so I was wondering if it's just it wasn't shut properly, or if this is normal.....if you can consider this normal...also it's not as windy as it was this morning either, so that's another factor of the noise not coming in anymore..!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do a search. There is a lot of information about this already written up. Mostly conflicting information though. I say it's the aerodynamic integrity of the car but other people say it's everything from the wheels, and/or windows, to the moonroof wind deflector. There is a TSB for sealing off the windows better. I have not taken it in to the dealership yet for this, and probably won't, but based on the description of the TSB, the loud howling deer whistle sound that I hear is seriously more than just air coming in the window. I love my alty except for three things which I wrote Nissan to complain about.

1] my car sounds like a deer whistle in a crosswind at or above 70 MPH.
2] my moonroof wind deflector is crap.
3] the paint on my passenger side mirror is coming off.

but...other than that it's great ; )

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It's the one thing that annoys me when I tested the Altima. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the noise.

·
Shift_???
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I didn't get the wind deflector, looks crappy IMO, so that's not the problem, but I haven't heard the noise since I played around with sunroof...hopefully I won't hear it again, but if I do, i'll have a look at the TSB, and bring it into Nissan, and have them seal that window properly...!!

Thanks for the help guys..!!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yes, the sunroof wind deflector is a waste of money IMO. I notice some wind noise coming from the front of my SE on windy days and have attributed it to cross winds blowing across the front end and by creating a negative pressure condition in the lower grill area, a slight whistling sound results.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,287 Posts
I have the deflector and havenever heard a peep:)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I also have the deflector and never heard a peep either. Must not be closing completely.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've had wind noise from the moonroof since the day I bought the car (12/01). Being 6'3" and having great hearing helps to hear the noise, but the first dealer/mechanic couldn't hear it (short/deaf). Different dealer found it and ordered the new gasket material. Installed it today. Not only is it dead quiet closed, but it's quieter when open. If you have wind noise from the sunroof, have the dealer replace the gasket. Definitely recommended.

·
*Altimate member*
206 Posts
there is a TSB regarding the
the gap tolerance of the Altimas
sunroof seal/gasket
tsb # NTB01075
aloha dennis

·
cruiser
1,016 Posts
two things you can try out,

1) take a business card and run it through the edge of your sunroof and see if any edges you can run it through with less resistance. seal loose areas with duck tape and take it for a spin. if it fixes the problem, then its the seal.

2) from the side of your car, look carefully at where your sunroof meets the roof of the car. the sunroof sliding glass should not be higher than the roof in the front and in the back, the glass should be higher than the roof to allow the air to flow over all panels. if not, take it to the dealer and ask them to re-calibrate it.

:)

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Thanks!
I have had this problem with the gap for the longest time and did not know about this TSB. Going to have the dealer fix this weekend!
Also the wind defletor has cracks around the curves in front of the screws, I took it off but I'm going to have them replace it because of this anyway. I heard this was a pretty common problem.

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Well, The dealership replaced the deflector, the new one is much thicker plastic than the old one was. They let me keep the old one too. As for the sunroof gap, they water tested it and could not see any evidence of a leak, so they didn't do anything about this. Fortunately for me, the gap was at the rear of the sunroof, so by raising it and following the instructions in the TSB, I was able to expand the seal using a spark plug gap tester, It now forms a much better seal. I didn't even have to remove it to do this. They did say if I keep having problems with wind noise to bring it back, but with the new deflector on it is much quieter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wind noise from sunroof!

I have had my Altima for about a year and just found this site! I love it. Anyways! My car not only has the windy whistle but also fogs up on the inside after it has been washed. I assume this is a bad thing since condensation can only happen if moisture is present. Has anyone else who has the air noise noticed this problem too? If so, was it fixed with the repair of the sunroof?
REALLY, REALLY don't want moisture to mess with my Bose!!!!LOL Oh yeah, did you have to go to a Nissan body shop or was it done at the regular garage?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re: Wind noise from sunroof!

AllyGirl said:
I have had my Altima for about a year and just found this site! I love it. Anyways! My car not only has the windy whistle but also fogs up on the inside after it has been washed. I assume this is a bad thing since condensation can only happen if moisture is present. Has anyone else who has the air noise noticed this problem too? If so, was it fixed with the repair of the sunroof?
REALLY, REALLY don't want moisture to mess with my Bose!!!!LOL Oh yeah, did you have to go to a Nissan body shop or was it done at the regular garage?

Hi AllyGirl.

I have the same sunroof wind-noise and yes my car fogs up terribly and takes a long time for it to defrost. And when the car defrosts, the backend of the car (passenger windows) are not defrosted.

I'm taking my car in this week to the dealer...I'll let you how it goes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I just took mine in Friday for an unrelated issue (car died in the middle of nowhere and wouldn't run in any forward gears...had to run reverse to get to a safe location, then it magically started working again), while it was there I asked them to check on the moisture issue in mine as I have some pretty nasty fogging/frosting in the inside of mine too. The service manager told me everything looked ok and everything was working within Nissan spec...his final suggestion was that the door seals are to blame...they are sealing very tightly and it keeps the moisture from evacuating out of the cabin. I'm going to take it back and let them try to fix it, but he warned me that it might be billable time since they can't find anything wrong with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts