The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post here since i'm picking up my altima tomorrow. I just wanted to know if it is better to get the dealer to tint your windows for u (if that's possible) or is it better to go somewhere else? I didn't ask the dealer when i bought the car because it never came to my mind but now that i'v seen sheer silver altimas, i like how they look with tints.

So will the dealer give me a good deal or will a normal window tinting place give a bette deal?

·
Banned
49 Posts
Get it done by someone outside your dealer, because your dealer will try to screw you out of some money. I got mine done for $160 %5 rear and 35% all round.

·
Banned
49 Posts
what do you think

·
Banned
49 Posts
pic 1

·
Banned
49 Posts
last pic

·
Harley Polly
136 Posts
I am mainly interested in keeping out the summer heat which can build easily to 150 F inside the cabin. The factory heat tint is good enough for me, so I ordered aircraft quality reflective foil heat shields from an established California firm whose website is www.canvasworks.com They laser cut patterns for your particular car to fit every window for $100 plus shipping. I should be receiving them next week and will report.

My car is parked outdoors for 10 to 14 days per month. The manufacturer claims that the entire car can be suited up in a minute and the inside will not get appreciably hotter than the ambient (outside) temperature. FYI>

PG:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get it done at a private shop. Mine cost $165 and is 28% all around with Quantum metal tint. It has a slight mirror look from the outside. They have to heat shrink it to the Altima windows because of the complex curves of the windows. I know cause I tried tinting mine myself and I couldn't get it to lay flat and I wasn't familiar with the heat shrink technique.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I was shopping for my 2002 SE one dealer told me NOT to go through him because he would simply outsource the job and tack on an additional fee for himself - cheaper to go directly to a tint place. Honesty at a dealer - I couldn't believe my ears!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
y2mars said:
Hi this is my first post here since i'm picking up my altima tomorrow. I just wanted to know if it is better to get the dealer to tint your windows for u (if that's possible) or is it better to go somewhere else? I didn't ask the dealer when i bought the car because it never came to my mind but now that i'v seen sheer silver altimas, i like how they look with tints.

So will the dealer give me a good deal or will a normal window tinting place give a bette deal?

I would recommend getting it done aftermarket wise. It's definitely much cheaper. I just got my windows done today at Tint Master for $190 CDN and NO TAX!! (because I paid cash). I got the fronts done at 35% (legal limit) and 20% for the rear passenger windows and 5% for the back window.

·
Banned
49 Posts
psteng19 said:
Can I ask why you choose to mix it up with 5% rear while the rest 35%?
Well depending on which state you live in your back window can be as dark as you want it to be (like mine which is 5%). and your rear windows can also be dark (mine are 35%) but when it comes to your driver and passenger side windows that can be tricky. Some state don't allow you to have tint on them at all and some do but you can only have it dark enough where you can still see inside. So depending on the laws in your state you can have tint anywhere you want.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It is true that your dealer is not going to tint the windows themselves. They have a shop come by and do it for them.

Therefore, they pay this shop their fee to do it, and then they charge you more, so that they make a profit. Just go to the tint shop and cut out the middle man.

PS - Also, I recommend Llumar Metalic tint. Can't beat the Lifetime warranty, and someday your tint IS going to bubble. You can just get it repaired for free when that happens.

·
I bent my Wookie
139 Posts
Re: Where?

BigFish said:
Dappy: Do you have contact info for Tint Master? Thanks!
Here's the place I'm getting mine tinted on Saturday. 2 of my friends got their cars done there and they did a great job.

Pro Auto & Detail
Thornhill
905-731-8468

$180 cash (just say you had a friend get their tint done there and he recommended these guys and he paid $180 in cash).

Tint: 5-10-23-35-50 %

Lifetime warranty against peeling, bubbling, and fading.

They use Llumar film and you can get metalized or non metalized tint.

·
Banned
49 Posts
make sure don't get your tint done anywhere where they don't offer a lifetime warranty.

·
I wish...
235 Posts
BlackSmoke said:
make sure don't get your tint done anywhere where they don't offer a lifetime warranty.
Yeah, though it should be stressed that the warranty should be from the manufacturer, not the installer. You never know how long the place will be around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
boominstereo said:
I have 15% all the way around, lifetime warranty from Llumar.

Boom,
How much did you pay for it? I'm trying to get a quote around here. It's $180 for all the rear windows. But the shop owner won't let me put it on the front side. He's charging me another $100 if I wanted them on.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts