The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone - it is almost time to put a good set of winter tires on my 3.5 and I am torn - I already know that I am going to get Blizzaks - but should I try to find some in the 215 55 17 size and put them on the original wheels - or should I go to tirerack.com (or someplace similar) to get a 16" altima winter tire package for the 2002 alty. The 17" size seems to be pretty hard to find anywhere - especially for snow tires.

The 16" package comes with 205 60 16 tires (I think) - which are Blizzak also. The price for the 4 tires and wheels is like $750.

What is everyone doing to get ready for the snow?

Just wondering...

C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm partial to Michelin or Michelin owned products. I guess it is b/c my dad works for Michelin at the N. American headquarters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michelins vs. Blizzaks

Up until last winter, I had always used Blizzaks for my winter driving on my SE-R. I absolutely LOVED them in snow and ice - but only tolerated the way they drove on dry roads - but the trade off, imho, was definitely worth it.

Last winter my wife put some Alpines on her 97 Sentra - I absolutley hated them. Not only were they crappy on dry roads (as were the blizzaks), they didn't even come close for handling and braking in the snow and ice (in pgh - we had a BAD winter last year).

For me - no decision - Blizzak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
teaser,I'm faced with the same issue. I've pretty much decided that I will go with the 16" package. Though, I don`t know which winter tires to buy. I like Toyo tires but they don't come in 205/60-16. I'm torn between the Blizzak or the Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsport. Any views on the Pirelli tires?

Bugsy

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Mine is going in the garage. The Blizzak has been THE winter tire for many years now. Regarding 16" wheels on the Altima, you need to make sure the calipers will fit inside the smaller wheel. Sometimes larger wheels are fitted to cars to accommodate larger brakes. I don't know if this is the case with the Altima or not. It is probably more for looks and performance alone and they'll fit fine, but better check for that 1/2" or so of clearance first. Make sure the tire you choose has the same overall diameter as the original tires. I was unable to find this information myself - if anybody knows please post it. I trusted Discount Tire when I bought my 19's (going on Friday). They better fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dealer Recommendations

Hey...I spoke with my dealer yesterday re: snows for my 02 SE and they recommended going to 16" steel rim to provide enough room for the brake pads. Also, pkg'd with Toyo Garit HT's in a 225/50/16 to hit closest radius. Toyo winter tire users swear the tire life is double those of Blizzaks.

Cheers.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Very True. Blizzaks are extremely soft which is why they are THE best winter tire (for traction). You can almost watch the tread disappear on dry roads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toyo winter tires?

DaKid - have you used Toyo winter tires before? Has anyone? I know that they produce a quality summer/sport tire - but know nothing about the winter tires.

Was the dealership you called selling the winter tire packages - or just making a suggestion? Did you get a price?

Sorry for all the questions - but I know that snow will be coming soon (even though Pgh has enjoyed some of the warmest mid-Nov temps - ever) - And I am having a lot of trouble deciding what I should do. Unless someone tells me definitively that ANYTHING is better that the blizzaks - I will most likely be purchasing a blizzak pkg this weekend at tirerack.com

The money is a factor - but keeping my SE in a single, unblemished piece for the entire winter is the highest priority!

Oh yeah - I want to make sure my wife and myself are safe too!

Thanks,

C.

·
Registered
15 Posts
TOYO Tires

Regarding the TOYO's...I have been hearing great things about these tires. It just happened that the dealer was offering a nice pkg. at $75 per 16" steel rim and $150/tire installed balanced etc. in CDN dollars.

Try toyocanada.com for more information on all tires and specifically the Garet HT's. After speaking with the dealer I spoke to a number of independant tire dealers and they all had great things to say about them as well Great snow/ice mix tire and priced similar to Blizzak's but with a full 3-4 season of tire wear expected and guaranteed.

They also mentioned better performance. While the Blizzak is unquestionably the favorite and my initial choice, the toyos have peeked my interest (they have microbit technology). Here's information from the site above on this high perf. snow tire.

Our H speed-rated, high-performance unidirectional winter radial features Microbit technology in a wider 50/55/60 series tire.

Serious Performance: An H speed-rated high performance winter radial with design characteristics to improve overall driving stability and handling in frozen, wet and even dry road conditions. Developed utilizing DSOC II technology to produce a quieter tire with improved dry handling and riding comfort.

Serious Traction: New "Microbit" compound provides even better ice grip. Unidirectional tread pattern for excellent snow traction. Saw tooth blocks and wave sipes provide extra ice traction.

More Information On Toyo's Microbit Technology
Serious Warranty: "Millennium" warranty package including:
- 5 year workmanship warranty
- 5 year road hazard protection.

WINTER TIRES

·
Registered
15 Posts
More on TOYO Microbit Technology

MICROBIT TECHNOLOGY
It’s like driving with thousands of tiny steel spikes on your tire.

That’s because Toyo’s revolutionary Microbit technology actually has thousands of finely ground walnut shell particles embedded into the tire compound.

It’s the positive aspects of studded tires that inspired our Toyo Observe passenger tire series (G-02, Garit HT, G-03, X-10) and GP-4 light truck tire.

One of the world’s hardest substances, walnut shells actually dig into ice and snow like miniature steel spikes, providing exceptional gripping power and handling in treacherous winter driving conditions. All with minimal tire and road surface wear.

EXCEEDS TRANSPORT CANADA"S PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
The result is a standard of performance in severe winter conditions that’s certified by Transport Canada. Which means you’ll be in better control when the weather gets really nuts.

GET GROOVED ON ICE AND SNOW
In addition to our revolutionary Microbit technology, our Observe Series and GP-4 light truck tires have thousands of traction groves in the actual tread block.

These "traction sipes" act like tiny squeegees that wipe away the water film on the ice, giving you better contact and therefor more bite on ice and snow.

The tread blocks are ingeniously designed to allow smooth movement of snow and slush when you're rolling, while the wider trailing edge provides greater resistance for braking and steering.

Toyo's unique tread design incorporates thousands of sipes to maximize grip-generating "squeegee" effect as the rubber surface grabs the snow.

Our traction sipes are either waved or closed at each end to maintain multi-directional stability and strength, so you get superior traction and handling.

5 YEAR ROAD HAZARD PROTECTION
Our new Observe Series passenger tires and P-series GP-4 light truck tires are built to give you years of exceptional winter performance and security. In fact, we're so confident that we stand behind our tires with a unique 5-Year Millennium Road Hazard Protection Plan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that's something to think about

DaKid - thanks for the info. im gonna look aound tonight for prices and addit info - it looks like an interesting idea - walnut shells!

hopefully i can find some info from a more objective source ;) than the product advertisement. but i AM SURE that there is good info to read - so no offense...

forecast still looks good - one day closer to spring - and the Alty is silver, and sweet.

later,

C.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DaKid, where did you buy your Toyo tires? I'm on the other side of the river in Hull. Are you sure 225/50/16 is the closest radius? I thought it was possibly 215/60/16 or 205/65/16?

teaZer, I am using Toyo winter tires (Observe G-02) on my other vehicle, an Honda Civic. I highly recommend them. I used them last winter and this year, they're just like brand new.

Bugsy

·
Registered
15 Posts
TOYO Sizing

Hey Bugsy...This size was recommended by Graham Nissan in Nepean by the parts manager. His pricing pkg. also beats any Toyo dealer in town that I have spoke too. As for tire sizes available for the Garit HT's I think he mentioned these were the closest...when I ran my calculator they are off by only 1.2% overall.

Here is the calculator site and my findings below. Try calling himself and see if you get any different information out of him.

Cheers. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

He gave me a price of $1272.40 rim/tire/balanced/mounted tax in price with 16" steel rims and 225/60/16 Garit HT's from TOYO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Atima 2002 16" winter tires

I think the better fit is 215/60R16. That's what my local Nissan Dealer suggested me. Try it with the Miata tire calculator and you'll see.

I am going to buy 215/60R16 Yokohama Gardex 720 for $950 CDN taxes+rims+instal. inclued.

I tried to fit 15" wheels but it appear there is no rims to fit because the thickness of the disk break mecanism. If somebody can fine a 15" rims that can fit, 205/70R15 will be the better fit an a lot less expensive and keep the same tire width as the original 16".

·
Registered
15 Posts
215/60/16 Better Fit

Yes...the above provides a much better fix for sure...even a 205/65/16 is a better fit then the 225/50/16's. I'm just not sure at this point whether TOYO makes these sizes. If they do...the Nissan Nepean dealer is on glue.

Does anyone know if TOYO makes these sizes in the Garit HT winter perf. radial?

Also, how do you rate your YOK's?

dakid

·
Registered
15 Posts
TOYO Winter Tire Options

TIRE SPECIFICATIONS - PASSENGER TIRE

Tire Size LI SW UTQG 1/32" O.D. SW SLR RV Rim Widths
GARIT HT
195/55R15 85H BL 12 23.5" 7.7" 10.8" 550 6 5.5-7.0
205/55R15 88H BL 12 24.1" 8.3" 11.0" 537 6.5 5.5-7.5
205/50R16 87H BL 12 24.1" 8.0" 11.2" 535 6.5 5.5-7.5
225/50R16 92H BL 13 25.1" 8.9" 11.5" 515 7 6.0-8.0
205/55R16 89H BL 12 24.9" 8.3" 11.5" 518 6.5 5.5-7.5
215/55R16 91H BL 12 25.3" 8.8" 11.6" 510 7 6.0-7.5
225/55R16 95H BL 13 26.0" 9.1" 11.9" 496 7 6.0-8.0
225/60R16 98H BL 13 26.6" 8.9" 12.1" 486 6.5 6.0-8.0
215/45R17 87H BL 13 24.8" 8.3" 11.5" 521 7 7.0-8.0
225/50R17 94H BL 13 26.0" 8.8" 12.0" 496 7 6.0-8.0

Stock Tire - 215/55/17 has SLR RV of 476. Dealer opted for closest tire in 16" as 225/60/16 thus 1.2% too slow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts