The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I bothered TL and Chris about this already, but since I shorted out my switch, I gotta wait till a new one comes in so I can finish my project. Unfortunately, I think I may have stumbled across another problem while doing this. Here's the problem:

I have two 15" red neons under the dash. Trying to hook them up to a magnetic rocker switch located on the center console(near the cup holders). This is how I have them wired:

Note: Switch has 4 prongs

NEON1 POS ----> POWER ----> SWITCH
NEON1 NEG ----> GROUND

NEON2 POS ----> POWER ----> SWITCH
NEON2 NEG ----> GROUND

SWITCH POS -----> POWER
SWITCH NEG -----> GROUND

That's the way Chris told me to wire it. I think that worked(to make the light on the switch turn on), but I didn't get to fully install it because I shorted out the switch when it accidentally touched a plate of metal.

Another problem that I encountered is that I don't think the front 12v cigarette adapter works anymore. I don't really know what I did, but I don't think power goes to it. The other 12v cigarette adapter works though.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any insight on the wiring or the adapter problem. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,392 Posts
as for wiring anything in the car to a alternate switch..u should really get a relay in between there..it has a good chance of burning out your switch if u dont....as for no power..get a multitester and check to see if there is power...if not should be a fuse for it

·
10,373 Posts
if the cig lighter doesn't work all of a sudden, check the fuses and check the wiring where you spliced into it. I had that problem when i was putting in my lcd's, i spliced into the cig lighter wire and when i put everything back together, it came apart (damn butt connectors) and i waslike WTF?! lol. Took me alittle bit to figure out it was the wire.

And go buy a $3 radioshack switch :p

·
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, so I guess it's a fuse then because I didn't splice any wires on the cig lighter yet. Also, I can't go with a $3 radio shack switch because I already cut the hole in my center console and I have no choice but to use the same switch again.

Also, my friend who had his wired, the light on the switch does not go off when you switch it off. It stays on all the time which resulted in smoke coming out of his switch. He wired his a different way, so will I have that problem? Thanks.

Oh and here's a pic of the switch I'm using. $14 special order. :)
It's the blue one.

·
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, it definitely was the fuse. Neons work fine now, just the switch doesn't. Does this mean the switch is dead? Or that the wiring is wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

·
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, just put the new switch in and same thing. The switch does not turn the neons on or off. The neons are just constantly on.

G

·
think about it gavin....if the neons work and the switch doesn't which is wired wrong? this is so weird cause i just did this same thing yesterday..but with blue neons under the dash

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.