The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright i convinced my brother to give me his 2 JLAudio W0's powered by 350watt kenwood amp. now i need to build a box for it. he has a crappy box made but i kinda want a better one. What is a boox box that i can build that wont cost me alot?

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
1 cubic ft should be fine. nice and easy to build too.

and u are not a digital god. wrong forum

·
Talib Kweli
275 Posts
make it out of mdf. its not cheap though.
or use at least 3/4 in. plywood. thats cheaper

·
Registered
50 Posts
MDF 3/4"

Marine Density Fiberboard is all you should use. It's not too expensive; seventeen dollars a sheet at home depot. The sheet should be enough to build a two cubic ft. box depending on how you cut it! Remember to drill pilot holes for your screws or you will split the board at the seams.:bigok:

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
Re: MDF 3/4"

casual180 said:
Marine Density Fiberboard is all you should use. It's not too expensive; seventeen dollars a sheet at home depot. The sheet should be enough to build a two cubic ft. box depending on how you cut it! Remember to drill pilot holes for your screws or you will split the board at the seams.:bigok:
Medium not Marine. And check the specs on the sub to determine how much volume you need, it varies. It's not just based on the size.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
you must have meant marine grade plywood (voidfree), either that or MDF works great, the voidfree plywood is a lot more expensive, but it is slightly lighter in case that matters.

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
I wouldn't consider MDF expensive. I don't think anyone mentioned needing to glue as well as screw the box together. Liquid nails is box builders best friend.

Demmy

·
Registered
288 Posts
word, mdf is $20 or less for a sheet that is more than big enough to make a box. Then all you need is some 2" drywall screws (some prefer diff. screws but these are the standard) and some liquid nails. Just make sure you have the right tools...and if you're using a jigsaw you might want to get a couple bits because cutting circles in MDF tends to break them.

Oh, and if you decide to go and carpet it, you can get some from home depot and you'll also want some spray adhesive or contact cement.

that's about it:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dementia, if you were referring to Rthompson's post I believe he was referring to something different than MDF. There are other wood composites that are more expensive (like HDF), then you have baltic birch etc, that some people use for boxes.

Basic rule for anyone reading this is to use 3/4 in MDF for sub boxes. The HDF or baltic birch or marine grade is serious overkill unless you have something approaching near insanity, such as multiple Brahmas off of a few thousand watts RMS (I think SQ, not SPL). Oh yeah, and invisible21 had the rest correct for making a box, it's pretty simple. :)

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
tdxspecs said:
Dementia, if you were referring to Rthompson's post I believe he was referring to something different than MDF. There are other wood composites that are more expensive (like HDF), then you have baltic birch etc, that some people use for boxes.
I'm not sure what you mean... All I said was that I don't consider MDF expensive.

Demmy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts