The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF!! Worn clutch at 16,000 miles!!

At take offs it seems like my car bogs down really bad, as if the clutch is not releasing or something, so I call my service dept. and tell the guy what is happening. He tells me that it is most likely a worn clutch but how, I only have 16,000miles on it. This is so bad that I don't want to drive my car cause I can't pick up enough speed off of a dead stop so I end up holding up all sorts of traffic behind me.

Does this sound like it is a worn clutch and will nissan cover it? Do you all think it may be related to this: http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1061756#post1061756

I would really appreciate any input I can get before I take it in to the dealership on saturday. Thanks.

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
Maybe you road the clutch pedal a lot while driving ? My sister went through 3 clutches when she started driving ? ? Mine also has the bogged down feeling but only occasioanlly, like once or twice a week. I just turn the car off for 30 seconds when it happens and then back on and the problem goes away :dunno:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I,m sorry man but what does "roading" mean? I am not really up on the terminology since this is the first manual transmission car I have owned.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sure sounds like a worn clutch to me. Next time you need to be a little more carefull. The VQ clutches are very strong to handle the torque. Slipping the clutch stops the wheel hop on a hard launch but eats up your clutch quickly.

I had a Stealth ES(not turbo) and the clutch was very weak. I put a centerforce clutch in and it helped greatly. With the stock clutch, dumping it would still allow slipage.

·
M W S
1,274 Posts
whatese said:
I,m sorry man but what does "roading" mean? I am not really up on the terminology since this is the first manual transmission car I have owned.
I think he meant "rode", as in the past tense of "ride". Perhaps his foot was riding (resting) on the clutch, causing it to be partially engaged.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ThaiBruin said:
clutches are wear and tear items not covered under warranty correct?
Correct, but what I am saying is that a clutch would most likely last about 50,000 miles under normal conditions. I don't drive my car very hard and I believe I would have to really abuse it in order to only get 16,000 miles out of it , which, is not the case.

Regardless, do you think that a worn clutch would cause me the problems that I was experiencing in the link I posted?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buddy02 said:
learn to drive a stick
Thanks for your input.

But, since I drive to school 4 days per week in heavy stop and go traffic then drive back from school in heavy stop and go traffic there is really no chance for me to keep my foot off the clutch.

You seem to know alot about driving a manual transmission so why don't you post something informative and tell me all wise one how it should be done.

·
Proud Owner
544 Posts
I have a 1995 nissan pickup I drive 1000 miles a week and at least half of that is stop and go. I have 186000+ miles on the original factory clutch and it's still barks second. You CAN"T drive stick very well. And I know it's a different vehicle with a lot less HP/TQ but if you know what you're doing clutches last a long time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
whatese said:
Thanks for your input.

But, since I drive to school 4 days per week in heavy stop and go traffic then drive back from school in heavy stop and go traffic there is really no chance for me to keep my foot off the clutch.

You seem to know alot about driving a manual transmission so why don't you post something informative and tell me all wise one how it should be done.
There are 2 distinct possibilities here:
1) On the one hand, there could be indeed something defective with the clutch.
2) On the other hand, since you don't seem to be too familiar with terminology germain to proper 5spd schooling and operating(setting aside the improper spelling used by poster "NVS aLtiMa"), one can only infer that your teacher wasn't that skilled either at this, or that you were not one of his best pupils. If this is indeed the case, then I would suggest that you read the following thread, paying EXTRA ATTENTION to posts made by "pvick", so that you can brush up on your skills.
Good luck, Horatio.

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34472&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, you are telling me that if I knew what I was doing then I wouldn't have this problem. But, instead of actually expalaining how it should be done you just say "you don't know what you are doing" and you leave it at that.

I posted that way I could get some help not so that you can just come in here and try to act like you are a bad ass sitting behind that screen.

If you can't help me then don't post anything at all. Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Horatio said:
There are 2 distinct possibilities here:
1) On the one hand, there could be indeed something defective with the clutch.
2) On the other hand, since you don't seem to be too familiar with terminology germain to proper 5spd schooling and operating(setting aside the improper spelling used by poster "NVS aLtiMa"), one can only infer that your teacher wasn't that skilled either at this, or that you were not one of his best pupils. If this is indeed the case, then I would suggest that you read the following thread, paying EXTRA ATTENTION to posts made by "pvick", so that you can brush up on your skills.
Good luck, Horatio.

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34472&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Unfortunately, when I bought this car I had no driving experience with manual transmissions whatsoever. I feel I have done alright considering that my car has only stalled on me not nearly as much as I thought it would. If my clutch wore out this early then I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks, for your help. 4 informative posts out of 11, wow.

·
Proud Owner
544 Posts
Sorry Man didn't mean to be rude. You just got to practice. I can upshift almost any stick without the clutch at all just by listening to the engine. But learning your cars particular clutch is different. You should'nt wind the motor out very much at all when taking off and you should put the car in neutral when your at a stop or when you can coast in traffic. Having the pedal halfway depressed or even having your foot nudging it while driving is bad. Also don't power shift or drop the clutch before you have fully changed gears. Oh and doing moving clutch drops and then punch the clutch pedal back in quickly when you have no where to go.(known friends to do this.) is bad. But more than likely you just keep your foot on the pedal while your moving, I've seen to many people fry clutches this way. Your clutch would last longer barking second every time you drove, than it would riding it. Hope this helps, ask any questions you like.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess when I first got this car I was excited to have all of this power on hand so I would do a burn out everyonce in a while and I would ride the clutch like crazy. I didn't think it would affect my clutch all that much if I only did it a few times but I guess I was wrong.

I think my problem is that more times than not I start from a dead stop at well above 2000rpms which I now know is NOT the right way to do it.

maddysdaddy7, how is it that you upshift without using the clutch?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts