The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone may understand what happened with this car
I replaced a hub and bearing
In the process the driver side axle cv joint over stretched.. Not knowing until I drove it and very bad wobbling.. I replaced axle.. Then weird steering issues.. Parked it.. Power steering fluid empty fluid all over axle and resivoir ..thinkimg the wobble blew rack and pinion our seals
Can any one help me with this

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,753 Posts
I think both you and your car should seek professional help on this one. PS fluid everywhere is a bad sign and replacing the rack is non trivial. Oh, and before you buy a reman rack...google the horror stories about them first. I got a new OEM Hitachi rack through RockAuto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure a mechanic would be the best thing..issue being obviously.. I'm broke
I did notice that labor is cheaper than the parts on a rack replacement.
Does the circumstances of a jammed c joint producing a terrible wobble probably produce too much force on rack blowing atleast a hose but also seals and bending rod an linkage?
It was dark and had no time to thoroughly investigate.
I'm only trying to think of how it's connected and what excessive force being distributed in the wrong direction could have done..
Steering wheel is no longer centered so I'm figuring at least linkage and a hose or two up to linkage new rack hoses and maybe pump if it ran dry too long.
Rebuilt rack is a bad idea you say?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,753 Posts
I'm just saying when I did the research on mine...reman racks seemed to be a total crapshoot...and difference in price didn't cover the second labour bill if it needed to be re-replaced (never mind the mess, inconvenience, wasted time, frustration...). Given the time of year, doing it shadetree wasn't an option around here. Google your preferred reman vendor before buying. Ideally get a garage that will give you at least a 3 month warranty on parts installed.

Good call on the PS pump...they hate to run dry...again not cheap. While you are in there, you should replace the universal joint on the lower steering column...this was actually what was wrong with mine...not the rack, not the pump, and the reason I haven't been back to the dealer since. Trust gone, and nothing but a shiny new rack to show for it.

As for the wheel not straight thing...when that CV joint 'falls apart', the CV shaft length is increased and your wheel was probably hammering the tie rod against its stops as your front end wobbled due to massive toe out in the alignment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input I didn't even think of the u joint
The car is parked miles from here
I haven't had a chance to confirm location of leak or anything yet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts