The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1994 nissan altima
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just installed my headers and downpipe. now i want a nice catback exaust kit, but i can't afford one for a while. so i have this muffler i bought about a year ago but i don't want to connect that to my old pipe{y-pipe is what i think it's called.} so where do i buy a new pipe? the bent one that connects from the convertor to the muffler? thanks for any help. i tried swa but they don't have.

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
well first off its not a y pipe. our cars have no true y pipes.
I remmbermy old subaru had it since it was a boxer engine it took two cylinders from each side and met them together to go to the cat. That was a Y pipe. If you want new piping you can get from a nissan dealer or go to a muffler shop. If you want plain old crush bent i am sure you can get it for cheap.
But if you plan on upgrading i see this as being a waste of money
Might as well keep this in your pocket till you have enough for the catback.

·
1994 nissan altima
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is my old pipe restriting air flow? i figured it was clogged or something. i thought a new pipe would make it new from from header to muffler therefore giving better air flow. maybe i should just throw on my muffler now and wait.

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
Most likely your pipe is not clogged in any way. Unless it is leaking i see no point in replacing it with the same size pipe.
And yes your old pipe is restricting airflow BUT my point was that there is no point in replacing sometihng you plan on replacing again in the future unless you have money to toss around.

If you get a catback it should include all that piping + a muffler. IMO save the money towards the cat-back and installation.
I will toss away a few bucks to install muffler a few to get new piping and that will be almost 1/2 the cost of your catback right there.

In the end its upto you. IF the muffler you purchase is good quality you might want to look into the GB for exteme performance cat-back. He can do the piping all SS mandrel bend without muffler. You could then strap on your muffler.
Really depends how much money you want to drop into it.

You could also go to a shop and get bigger piping dropped in and strap on your muffler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts