The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
You Can't Front On That..
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't really been able to search anything useful....

I was wondering if someone knew of any kind of step by step guide to turbocharging a 2nd Altima? I am very interested in doing so and I don't have a lot of money to do so. I wanted to find out about everything this entails and what kind of undertaking it may turn out to be....

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
701 Posts
I am no Turbo Guy and I dont own a 2nd Gen....But homie.....youre going to need money. Lots of it.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
ALTIMA FREAK said:
I am no Turbo Guy and I dont own a 2nd Gen....But homie.....youre going to need money. Lots of it.

More like too much money. Unless you REALLY REALLY love/know your Altima, dont bother....you'll need very deep pockets and a lot of knowledge(and I assume you've neither since you're driving an altima,want a cheap(er) turbo kit,and you asked this question)...unlike some other cars, you cant just slap on a turbo on an altima, do a tweak or 2, and then have it running problem free...its a constant tuning process, and every little thing that you can or can not think of will probably go wrong.
I'm not really trying to discourage you...its very doable, but you've to be dedicated to this project...quiet a few members have turboed their Altimas and all had great results.
I'm sure someone that owns a turbo altima will help you out though if you prove to be "notjustanothernewbieIwanttoslaponaturboandstickersonmyaltimatogofastvroomvroomcanIgetvteconthealtimatoowiththeturbo" ;)

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
ill just give you some of the basics.

first, you will need the Turbonetics turbo kit. then after that, you will need to change your car over to OBDI system, which means you change your ECU, Intake Manifold, a few sensors, and you should be ready to start. then comes the tuning, and getting any extra parts that are needed that dont come with the Turbo kit. Boost controller, turbo timer, gauges, and then of course you have the install

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
you guys bother me when saying this stuff.

i have a 2000 motor in my car which basically means i turbo'd a 2nd gen. i have OBDII, so obviously theres no need to convert shit to OBDI. i also basically slapped the turbo kit on and "did a tweak or 2" and it runs perfectly fine.

only extra parts i purchased seperate from what came with the turbo kit were gauges, turbo timer, and just this weekend, a new wastegate and boost controller.

·
BoOsTiN.....
1,397 Posts
get turbonetics kit...

fuel management if u are 98-99 then maybe the jwt 96 swap or go wit greddy e-mange, or stand alone if u have that kind of dough....

search whitealty2000 for more info, he has a turbo 2nd gen...

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
ERyNN29 said:

i have a 2000 motor in my car which basically means i turbo'd a 2nd gen. i have OBDII, so obviously theres no need to convert shit to OBDI. i also basically slapped the turbo kit on and "did a tweak or 2" and it runs perfectly fine.

only extra parts i purchased seperate from what came with the turbo kit were gauges, turbo timer, and just this weekend, a new wastegate and boost controller.
I was just basing it off what I've heard from others who tried to turbo OBDII altimas. I dont have that problem. I heard that the sensors and the ECU of the OBDII is an issue. I heard the ECU is a problem for JWT to reprogram when its an OBDII setup. but maybe they have corrected that issue already

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
ERyNN29 said:

Thus far Erynn you are the exception not the rule. You have to remember just because your car is simply running doesn't necessarily mean it running what you want it to run, remember the ka is extremely detonation resistant, does it mean on a hot day going up a mountain or a hill you're not going to have problems? it might not.

Your ECU thinks that the stock injectors are still there. So lets do the math. Lets say the ECU sees X amount of air, sending the correct voltage to the injectors to crack them open 25%.

Stock injectors are 270cc/min versus 370cc/min injectors.

25% of 270cc/min is 67.5cc/min.
25% of 370cc/min is 92.5cc/min.

So on the fuel side it looks like you're running rich. And this is why you've gotten so far, but rich does not equal power, you'll actually lose power. Also being this rich will also mask an air leak rather easily.

But what's the other half of the equation. Timing. Turbo cars generally retard timing based on boost because it's usually required to stave off preignition or detonation. The stock NA ecu does not retard timing, it actually advances timing.

Also have you had a wideband hooked up to your car as of yet? I'm curious to what it will show. Ignorance may be bliss, but usually only until something breaks.

Also it's not the fact the computer is OBDII that is keeping people from using their stock sensors and ecu, it's the fact that nissan changed the encryption at some point in the OBDII switch and JWT has not been able to crack this encryption. There is someone in australia and japan that say they have cracked the code, but it doesn't look like anyone in the US has figured it out yet.

If you don't believe me, my car was the first 95 prototype turbo program, the third turbo program in existance at the time and when I brought it to jim and clark they were both surprised that it was in fact, OBDII.

UltimaSE

·
The Dude
8,837 Posts
erynn. I think I speak for most of us when I say, I'd love to see a dyno chart w/ a/f ratios. I have a 97 as well. and just re-installed my stock ecu, and to car runs pig rich, w/ a huge loss in power over the jwt ecu.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
UltimaSE said:
Stock injectors are 270cc/min versus 370cc/min injectors.

25% of 270cc/min is 67.5cc/min.
25% of 370cc/min is 92.5cc/min.
UltimaSE
Wonder if JWT knows this =)

btw, i'm no wideband, but i know what a car running pig rich feels like, and erynn's does not.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
ULTIMATUC said:
erynn. I think I speak for most of us when I say, I'd love to see a dyno chart w/ a/f ratios. I have a 97 as well. and just re-installed my stock ecu, and to car runs pig rich, w/ a huge loss in power over the jwt ecu.
soon enough homie. im goin either this saturday or next saturday, depending on when my EGT gauge finally gets in so i can take the car to the shop for that and a few other things. it's goin on the dyno asap. ill post up the dyno chart right after.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
rush0 said:
Wonder if JWT knows this =)

btw, i'm no wideband, but i know what a car running pig rich feels like, and erynn's does not.
my car is def. running rich, which will be takin care of thru tuning of the s-afc. but, take it from omar, its not running toooo rich, he drove the car. it really runs great, with MORE power than with the JWT. belieeeeeeeeeve that.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
ULTIMATUC.. just got off the phone wit my dyno shop, this saturday i'm goin, 11am. i'll post up the results for u when i get back :)
he also told me to bring the JWT and he's gonna see if he can figure out the problem and make the car run right wit it..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts