The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your experiences w/ removing side molding on 1st gen. Good/Bad? I remember reading one post "gone bad". Already
read the FAQ on it and understand the heating of it and all.
Still have some "goo remover" from doing all the badging. Main concern is the paint under there. We have some rubbing compound and a good buffer if it's needed. It's the silver/champagneish colored 96'. Most dings we get on it are just above that molding anyway...wierd :)

·
Banned
0 Posts
mine is the maroonish color. I took it off about a month ago, and it wasn't that hard. I used a hair dryer, and started near the engine, and worked my way back. The reason I started up there was because if the paint was faded, it would only be a little side molding gone, instead of the whole door piece, which would look ugly. It wasn't hard at all though. Just heated the piece, and then pulled with a lot of muscle. There was two-sided foam tape on the back of the molding, so I used my thumbs to roll it off. This was the bad part. As I kept doing that, the skin on my thumb became thinner and thinner, until it bled. I recovered though! I used a buffer afterwards just to get some wax on the piece, and SHAZAM, I am in business!

·
your mom felt my length
886 Posts
same as dj, i did it in thr front to see if there was fading, i just kinda pulled up a corner and ripped the rest of it off, then cleaned the tape with soem googone stuff, i got a white 95...looks nice and smooth :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just used a heat gun and a putty knife on my 95' GXE, I removed the front one first also, only because i wanted to know what it was going to look like, but once you use the buffer with compound, not wax, but compound, maybe some finesse it and swirl mark remover it will look fine, but I did use a rubber wheel and a cordless drill to take the double sided tape off with

·
Registered
39 Posts
just be careful, the heat gun practically melts the crap any way, and i should have added that, once it was started off, i just pulled the rest of it by hand

·
H.N.I.C.
2,773 Posts
i didn't use any heat....
i jus ripped them off
:D
and used this stuff from Wal-mart that burnincelery gave me..
craps nice..
like goo be gone...

i got most of it off...
coulda buffed it..
but I didn't care 'cause my car was gettin' painted...
:)

ps- I'm sorry if my sig affends u...
i know prob most girls don't like it...
unless u're mel maybe
;)

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah, I'd be willing to say if I liked her or not. Her body was
so-so and her face was wack :) Actually, I'd say only half
the girls we saw there were even decent.

twofaze said:
i didn't use any heat....
i jus ripped them off
:D
and used this stuff from Wal-mart that burnincelery gave me..
craps nice..
like goo be gone...

i got most of it off...
coulda buffed it..
but I didn't care 'cause my car was gettin' painted...
:)

ps- I'm sorry if my sig affends u...
i know prob most girls don't like it...
unless u're mel maybe
;)

·
got widebody?®
2,003 Posts
Ripped mine off too, no heat. It did something weird to the paint. It went white (car is silver) like when you take something that is hard plastic (any color) and bend it hard...you know how it turns white on the bend-line? Like that. Shit looks ****ed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts