How to check codes without a code reader, and clear them - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-11-2008, 06:53 AM
BT
Super Modder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
How to check codes without a code reader, and clear them

To any and all that might be interested, you can save yourself a trip to the local parts store and check codes at home. Find yourself a watch with a second hand and do the following...

---Make sure car has been off for at least 15 minutes.

---Turn ignition switch to 'ON', not running

---Wait 3 seconds

---In the next 5 seconds, fully depress and release gas pedal 5 times

---Wait 7 seconds.

---Depress gas pedal and hold down

---Watch SES (Service Engine Soon) light, it will start blinking

---You can release gas pedal at this point

The SES light will blink out the code/s that are stored in the memory. They all have a 4 digit number. The first digit of each code always blinks slow, followed by a short pause, quick blinks for second digit, short pause, quick blinks for third digit, short pause, and quick blinks for final digit. If more than one code is stored, the computer will blink each in numerical succession until done(it starts over at that point).

Couple of notes on the blinking...

---ten blinks for any digit ='0', zero
---code '0000' means all clear
---add a 'P' in front of the code number when searching for results

The codes can be cleared (and SES light turned off) from the computer while in this diagnostic mode. While the SES light is blinking, simply depress and hold the gas pedal for at least 10 seconds, release pedal, start car. The SES light will go off and stay off if problem does not persist in car, or if repair was completed.

Hope this helps...

B

Frankensteined 2002/3/4 3.5SL
QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 02-11-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: OOPS-forgot a step...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Boomer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
To any and all that might be interested, you can save yourself a trip to the local parts store and check codes at home. Find yourself a watch with a second hand and do the following...

---Make sure car has been off for at least 15 minutes.

---Turn ignition switch to 'ON', not running

---Wait 3 seconds

---In the next 5 seconds, fully depress and release gas pedal 5 times

---Wait 7 seconds.

---Depress gas pedal and hold down

---Watch SES (Service Engine Soon) light, it will start blinking

---You can release gas pedal at this point

The SES light will blink out the code/s that are stored in the memory. They all have a 4 digit number. The first digit of each code always blinks slow, followed by a short pause, quick blinks for second digit, short pause, quick blinks for third digit, short pause, and quick blinks for final digit. If more than one code is stored, the computer will blink each in numerical succession until done(it starts over at that point).

Couple of notes on the blinking...

---ten blinks for any digit ='0', zero
---code '0000' means all clear
---add a 'P' in front of the code number when searching for results

The codes can be cleared (and SES light turned off) from the computer while in this diagnostic mode. While the SES light is blinking, simply depress and hold the gas pedal for at least 10 seconds, release pedal, start car. The SES light will go off and stay off if problem does not persist in car, or if repair was completed.

Hope this helps...

B

Canucks Rool!
2002 3.5 Ruby
Blacked Out Chrome

Feedback Thread
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ven...ck-thread.html
#3 Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 AM
05 Silver SE-R 6mt

thanks for the tip. i have not had an ses light come on yet, but now i know how to check it out. i liked my old srt4, turn the key on and off 3 times and it would tell you the code where the odometer usually is.

thanks again.

#4 Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
search you n00b!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohnny View Post
true... but it is one more thread that people can search for (even though people can't search worth a damn...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by altimatelyebony09 View Post
And damn those are some big rotor thingy magigies.
#5 Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Or just get a OBD Reader from Mac Tools for $60 and you don't have to spend 20 mins trying to figure out codes. Plug into OBD and run the codes.

|eRacing body kit | 6000k HID Kit | RacingLine Strut bar | SER Tails | S5 Clone Grille | Billet Grille | Painted Black | 20/5 Tint | Incubus Valera 20's | Tein Basic Coilover Kit | Weapon-R Secert Intake | Apexi WS2 Catback exhaust | AT Grounding Kit | In dash LCD DVD | JBL 2-Channel Power Amp | 2 JBL 12" Subs |
#6 Old 02-17-2008, 05:26 PM

my SES light goes on and then goes off. In other words, it stays on for a couple of weeks then goes off for a couple of more weeks. ITs been doing this for a long time now after I installed my new MAF and new o2 sensors.

Nothings been wrong, it still scans the code, but if it keeps going off, maybe nothing really is wrong and i should restart it?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Visual Mods
18'' 35th Ann. 350z wheels, LED fog strips, tints, debadged, color matched side marker, 6000k DDM Raptor Kit (kinda sucks), red calipers, color matched OEM grille.

Interior - White LED door light.

Engine - Takeda Intake
#7 Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 PM
BT
Super Modder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethemike View Post
my SES light goes on and then goes off. In other words, it stays on for a couple of weeks then goes off for a couple of more weeks. ITs been doing this for a long time now after I installed my new MAF and new o2 sensors.

Nothings been wrong, it still scans the code, but if it keeps going off, maybe nothing really is wrong and i should restart it?

See if you can pull a code anyway with the instructions above(there may be one stored, but light may be off...called a temporary code). I have also read that in the case of replacing the MAF, the code will not always clear, and may need to go in and be reset by Nissan. If there is a code, shoot me a PM, and I'll look it up for you.

BTW Mike, I really ought to shoot you...It all started with the blue light in the ignition...Now my damn wife(screenname Ethel) has me adding LEDs on the exterior and interior of her car...LOL

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 02-17-2008 at 08:14 PM.
#8 Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2580 View Post
See if you can pull a code anyway with the instructions above(there may be one stored, but light may be off...called a temporary code). I have also read that in the case of replacing the MAF, the code will not always clear, and may need to go in and be reset by Nissan. If there is a code, shoot me a PM, and I'll look it up for you.

BTW Mike, I really ought to shoot you...It all started with the blue light in the ignition...Now my damn wife(screenname Ethel) has me adding LEDs on the exterior and interior of her car...LOL
You asked, I answered, bad bing badda boom So it worked out eh?

As for the code, Ive always been getting the P1273 (i think thats what it is) air flow sensor code. But now theres no problems, Ive replaced all the sensors and MAF. How much is it to get it restarted by Nissan?

Visual Mods
18'' 35th Ann. 350z wheels, LED fog strips, tints, debadged, color matched side marker, 6000k DDM Raptor Kit (kinda sucks), red calipers, color matched OEM grille.

Interior - White LED door light.

Engine - Takeda Intake
#9 Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 PM
BT
Super Modder

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yes, it (lights) worked out...grrrrrrrrrr

On to your problem. That is the code that I had when I was running without a cat, and my rear O2 intercept was not working properly. It is one that WILL stay locked in the memory. It can refer to the MAF, but can also be caused by the rear O2 sensor as well. There is actually a TSB out stating as much. It is probably still sitting in the temporary code memory.

Try disconnecting the battery overnite(will drain and clear ECM, and also the the short term memory). If that doesn't do it, you may have to take it in to get it cleared. As for $ to clear, I truly could not tell you.

QR to VQ swap

Other Pics
My NC Garage
My Feedback Thread...

Last edited by BT; 02-17-2008 at 10:31 PM.
#10 Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Hello, my SES light came on, two days ago, O have a 1999 Altima GXE, before I had a 200sx 1.6 L, used to get codes from ECU directly with the self diagnostic devide on back of ECU, but ill give it a try with this new method, until I see it , ill believe it

Costa Rica representing...
www.nissanclubcr.com
#11 Old 03-09-2008, 04:47 AM

Well this method did not work on my 99 altima, but I used my previous method used on my ex 200sx, just as handy info, the ECU lastic black cover on the dirvers side is teh one that should be taken off to get to teh ECU and pull codes manually like here
How to manually pull and define ecu error codes. - NissanForums.com

www.nissanclubcr.com
#12 Old 03-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Auto X FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL88 View Post
Hello, my SES light came on, two days ago, O have a 1999 Altima GXE, before I had a 200sx 1.6 L, used to get codes from ECU directly with the self diagnostic devide on back of ECU, but ill give it a try with this new method, until I see it , ill believe it
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL88 View Post
Well this method did not work on my 99 altima, but I used my previous method used on my ex 200sx, just as handy info, the ECU lastic black cover on the dirvers side is teh one that should be taken off to get to teh ECU and pull codes manually like here
How to manually pull and define ecu error codes. - NissanForums.com
You are in the 02-06 Altima forums, of course its not going to work. Try here:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/199...altima-forums/

Gone: 2005 Nissan Altima SER 6MT 14.5 @ 98 bone stock
New: 1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged 5MT 14.5 @ 92

PARTS FOR SALE!
-Eibach Sportline V6 02-06 Altima Springs

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/par...06-altima.html
#13 Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethemike View Post

The DTC protocol is that if the ECM detects a problem it stores a 1st trip DTC. If the problem recurs in 2 consecutive driving cycles [which have a strict definition as far as the ECM is concerned ,ie.every time you drive your car does not necessarily constitute a "driving cycle" to the ECM] then the SES light comes on. If the problem does NOT occur after the SES light is on for 3 consecutive driving cycles, the SES light will go out but the code is still stored as a 1st trip DTC. If the problem recurs the SES light comes back on.It takes either 40 or 80 cycles [depending on the problem] without a problem to completely erase the ECM memory [unless you intervene and erase it]. Hope this helps explain your situation!Download a copy of the fact. serv manual. If you spend a little time there is a lot of helpful info. in it.

It's better to burnout than to fade away! It's better to burnout than to rust!
#14 Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerbuccs24 View Post
You are in the 02-06 Altima forums, of course its not going to work. Try here:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/199...altima-forums/

I see, thanks, anyways it's fixed

www.nissanclubcr.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum > Nissanclub.com Nissan - Infiniti Enthusiast Forums > NISSAN ALTIMA FORUMS > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Forums > 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Discussion (2.5 & 3.5)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

<

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode